Pages

Saturday 30 November 2013

odds and ends: a glimpse of my everyday cooking: noodles, soups and stews

Here's a lazy end-of-the-month post where I share with you the sort of things I cook regularly: noodles, soups and stews. For an indolent cook, these are easy, fuss-free dishes that don't take up much time or effort at all. I whip up meals like these ones in all sorts of variations all the time without jotting down any measurements, but I'll give you a quick tour anyway, and perhaps you'll be inspired to make something similar!

I love a good ramen. If my memory serves me correctly (ha! Iron Chef reference!), this is a vegetarian miso ramen I made with organic ramen noodles, bits and pieces of vegetables from the fridge, and free-range eggs. Gotta love the umami taste, and those wobbly, creamy orange yolks.

Vegetarian ramen.

This is a quick stew I made some months ago, using leftovers from a roast pork dinner. I added some tomato and onion to the roast pork and root vegetables, along with some water, cooked it for a bit until the flavours married, then threw in some coriander leaves.

Leftover roast stew.

A wondrous work lunchbox creation: blanched rice vermicelli noodles, fresh beansprouts, raw cashews, and a boiled egg. I sloshed in some lemon juice and soy sauce, then sprinkled on mint leaves, sliced red chilli, white pepper and salt. When I wanted to eat, I poured in some freshly boiled water from the kitchen kettle, let it sit in the container with the lid on for a few minutes, and voila! A gentle, soothing, vegetarian Asian vermicelli soup to enjoy at my desk. I really should do this more often, I was a very happy girl that day.

Just-add-hot-water vermicelli lunchbox.

Last but not necessarily least, I bought some organic Koshihikari rice recently, a Japanese short-grain variety. I paired it with pork, cauliflower, broccoli, lamb's lettuce, fatty pork, and miso to make sort of a rice stew, or soup.

Miso rice soup.

What are the types of dishes that make up part of your everyday life?

14 comments:

  1. They all look very good! And more nutritious than my go-to of sausages cooked with frozen mixed veg and soya sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sausages and vegetables don't sound half bad either!

      Delete
  2. There's nothing too indolent here! These all look great, nutritious and satisfying. A fair amount of effort went into putting this post together. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the glimpse of my meals. :)

      Delete
  3. vegies always feature in my meals - i can't go without eating something green for lunch or dinner. i guess that is a healthy habit to have! your noodles with the soft-boiled egg looks just yummy though - a good contrast of rich egg and fresh beansprouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always featuring veggies is a supremely healthy habit to have, indeed! And yeah I really enjoyed that noodle dish. :)

      Delete
  4. Look at those YOLKS! Did you poach your eggs or hard boil them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the ramen, I poached the eggs directly in the broth itself. For the rice vermicelli, I boiled it in the shell. :)

      Delete
  5. We've been doing a lot of soups lately too--last night was a spicy broth with lots of vegetables, noodles, and a last minute egg stirred in to cut the heat a little. I love easy dinners like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your spicy noodle soup with vegetables and egg, sounds delicious and totally up my alley! :D

      Delete
  6. Sometimes the best soups comes from whatever we have in our fridge. Looks like a very hearty soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes good things just happen if you try. :D

      Delete
  7. These all look delicious. It's definitely the time of year for soups and stews! They are so warming and comforting and usually pretty simple to throw together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ease and simplicity is what makes soups and stew so attractive to me!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails