Pages

Thursday 2 December 2010

chicken cucumber sandwich with ginger mushroom butter

chicken cucumber sandwich, moving towards the light.

December's going to be a busy month. I'll be doing lots of overtime at work, and my parents are visiting, but hopefully I can still update my blog fairly regularly!

I'll just make this a quick one. One of the sandwiches I am most familiar with growing up consisted of buttered bread with chicken and cucumber. It's simple stuff, perhaps a little boring to some, but I am rather fond of it. I had some leftover cooked chicken from a soup the other day, so I decided to make this sandwich with a slight twist, while still keeping it quite uncomplicated. This is where oyster mushroom + ginger butter comes in...

Making the butter was easy. I sweated diced oyster mushrooms and finely grated ginger in a little bit of salted butter, then removed from heat and folded this mixture into some more butter. This makes a chunky but soft and spreadable gingered oyster mushroom butter. I swiped it on some freshly toasted ciabatta bread.

gingered oyster mushroom butter

On top, I layered cucumber slices, then sliced chicken, and seasoned to taste. Seasoning suggestions: I thought ponzu would be nice with this but since I didn't have any, I settled for a little soy sauce, mirin,  pepper, and lemon juice. If you have some suitable herbs or greens lazing about (which I didn't, but wish I did), you can scatter them over as well.

I definitely prefer eating this when it is freshly made, while the butter is still warm, the oyster mushrooms juicy and the bread is toasty. I think it agrees...

chicken cucumber sandwich, contemplating life.

12 comments:

  1. This sandwich sounds light and healthy, esp with the mushroom ginger sauce ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you made a gourmet dish out of a favorite childhood recipe. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ginger mushroom butter sounds really fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, the ginger-oyster mushroom butter sounds pretty amazing. Nice way to pep up anything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger mushroom butter!! I am totally sold. What a great idea to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like I sandwich I could become friends with. We'd kick it off immediately, I'm sure. You know, assuming friends construct one another with the intention of eating them. Upon further reflection, that seems like a strange relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this looks incredibly delicious! yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!

    Rich - in our philosophical session in the sun, my sandwich told me his purpose in life was to be eaten. As a friend I could only oblige. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, the philosophical sandwich session. What I've found is that during those sessions I find out as much about myself as I do about the sandwich. Enlightening, at the very least. And to think I thought I was the only one ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what the heck, I commented on this on Tuesday! Stupid thing. I love the entire idea of this sandwich. I think cucumbers belong on sandwiches, because they give amazing flavor and crunch, but I never find anyone who agrees with me! Finally! Also, that compote butter sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indeed, Rich, indeed. :D

    Melissa, I'm definitely a fan of cucumbers in sandwiches - astounded that you have a hard time finding someone who agrees!

    Mira, thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails